The Istituto Nazionale di Oceanografia e di Geofisica Sperimentale – OGS – is the Italian national research institute that promotes and performs researches and operates as national reference for co-ordinating the Italian participation in entities, projects and international research initiatives in the fields of oceanography and experimental geophysics.
In detail, the OGS performs studies and applied research in :
- geophysics and environmental sciences, with special consideration to the development of applied research and its transfer to production market;
- exploration, exploitation and storage of geo-energy and energy residues, as CO2, on land and at sea, in Italy and abroad;
- marine sciences, with a particular view to the interaction of the marine and oceanic environment with the atmosphere and the lithosphere;
- in seismicity as well as analysis of geodynamical and hydrodynamical phenomena influencing the environment, also for civil defence purposes;
- data acquisition, processing and archiving, and new interpretative technologies applied to the exploitation of land resources and towards a better utilization of the territory.
In its long activity, OGS has gained a solid base of experience in applied researches and high-technology services for public and private clients. OGS staff is made by 177 employees: 90 researchers, 63 technicians, 24 administrative.
OGS is actually involved in the following projects dealing with CO2 geological storage: CASTOR, INCA-CO2, CO2 GeoNet.